Requesting access to documents
- be in writing
- state that the request is an application for the purposes of the FOI Act
- provide information concerning the document as is reasonably necessary to enable Customs and Border Protection to identify it
- give details of how notices under the FOI Act may be sent to you (for example by providing an electronic address to which notices may be sent by electronic communication)
The request must be sent to Customs and Border Protection, and may be sent in any of the following ways:
- delivery to an officer of Customs and Border Protection
- postage by pre-paid post to Customs and Border Protection
- sending by electronic communication to FOI Coordinator
To assist you in submitting a valid application for documents under the FOI Act, you may use our Freedom of Information Application form. Please note that you are not required to use this form. A letter or email containing the same information will be sufficient
All applications under the FOI Act should be addressed to the Customs and Border Protection FOI Coordinator
The FOI Act requires an agency to take reasonable steps to assist an applicant in making a valid FOI request. If you require further information in relation to making a FOI request, please contact the Customs and Border Protection FOI Coordinator
What will happen after my request is received?
If your request is a valid request under the FOI Act an acknowledgement letter will be sent to you within 14 days of Customs and Border Protection receiving your request. You may be contacted to provide more information if the scope of your request is too wide.
If your request is not a valid request, we will contact you to help you make a valid request.
Customs and Border Protection has 30 days - from the day after a valid request is received - to notify you in writing of the decision on your request.
This timeframe may be extended by a further 30 days in the following circumstances:
- with agreement (subject to notice of the agreement being given to the Information Commissioner)
- large or complex requests
How can I be provided with access to documents?
Access to documents under the FOI Act may be granted in the following forms:
- a reasonable opportunity to inspect the document
- provision of a copy of a document
- provision of a means to view a film, videotape or sound recording
- provision of a transcript of a sound recording or of shorthand notes