Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) manages the security and integrity of Australia's borders.
We work closely with other government and international agencies, in particular the Australian Federal Police, the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and the Department of Defence, to detect and deter unlawful movement of goods and people across the border.
We employ more than 5000 people in Australia and overseas and our central office is in Canberra. We have a fleet of ocean-going patrol vessels and contract two aerial surveillance providers for civil maritime surveillance and response.
Protecting the Australian community through the interception of illegal drugs and firearms is a high priority and sophisticated techniques are used to target high-risk aircraft, vessels, cargo, postal items and travellers. This includes intelligence analysis, computer-based analysis, detector dogs and various other technologies.
Our clients include the Australian community, the Government, industry, travellers and other government agencies.
The CEO heads ACBPS with the support of two Deputy Chief Executive Officers (DCEOs).
We operate nationally through three programmes:
- Border Management
- Border Enforcement
- Reform Programme Board
Organisational chart (13 December 2013) (PDF 464KB)
Profile of Chief Executive Officer Michael Pezzullo (PDF 164 KB)
We have permanent representation at Australian Embassies and High Commissions in Bangkok, Beijing, Brussels, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Colombo, Washington DC and New Delhi. Staff undertaking capacity building projects are also located in Papua New Guinea and the Soloman Islands.
See also the locations of ACBPS Australian offices.
Links to information about Customs and Border Protection
- Corporate Plan 2013-14
- Annual reports
- Authority and power
- Business opportunities
- CCTV advisory service
- Collective Agreement
- Client Service Charter and Standards
- Complaints and Compliments
- Customs and Border Protection National Consultative Committee (CNCC)
- File listing (Harradine listing)
- Heads of Commonwealth Operational Law Enforcement Agencies (HOCOLEA)
- Heritage Strategy
- Integrity and Professional Standards
- International relations - capacity building
- Kyoto convention
- National Passenger Processing Committee (NPPC)
- Customs and Border Protection offices
- Portfolio budget statements
- Protecting our borders - Border Protection Command, Customs Watch, border technologies, Detector Dog Program, Container and Cargo Examination Facilities, Customs Marine Unit, Smartgate
- Customs and Border Protection Regulatory philosophy
- Regulatory Plans
- Review of Passengers Functions at International Airports 2006
- Strategic outlook 2015
- Statement of Intent 2011-2012 (PDF1.37MB)
- Statutory powers
- WCO data model