About Customs and Border Protection
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service manages the security and integrity of Australia's borders. It works closely with other government and international agencies, in particular the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and the Department of Defence, to detect and deter unlawful movement of goods and people across the border.
The agency is a national organisation employing more than 5500 people in Australia and overseas, with its central office in Canberra. It has a fleet of ocean-going patrol vessels and contracts two aerial surveillance providers for civil maritime surveillance and response.
Protecting the Australian community through the interception of illegal drugs and firearms is a high priority and sophisticated techniques are used to target high-risk aircraft, vessels, cargo, postal items and travellers. This includes intelligence analysis, computer-based analysis, detector dogs and various other technologies.
Clients of Customs and Border Protection include the Australian community, the Government, industry, travellers and other government agencies.
The CEO heads Australian Customs and Border Protection Service with the support of two Deputy Chief Executive Officers (DCEOs).
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service operates nationally through two programs:
- Border Management
- Maritime, Corporate and Intelligence
Organisational chart (27 May 2013) (PDF 268 KB)
Profile of Chief Executive Officer Michael Pezzullo (PDF 164 KB)
Customs and Border Protection has permanent representation in Bangkok, Beijing, Brussels, Jakarta and Washington. See also the locations of Customs and Border Protection Australian offices.
Links to information about Customs and Border Protection
- Annual Plan 2012-13
- Annual reports
- Authority and power
- Business opportunities
- CCTV advisory service
- Collective Agreement
- Client Service Charter and Standards
- Complaints and Compliments
- Customs and Border Protection National Consultative Committee (CNCC)
- File listing (Harradine listing)
- Heads of Commonwealth Operational Law Enforcement Agencies (HOCOLEA)
- Heritage Strategy
- Integrity and Professional Standards
- International relations - capacity building
- Kyoto convention
- National Passenger Processing Committee (NPPC)
- Customs and Border Protection offices
- Portfolio budget statements
- Protecting our borders - Border Protection Command, Customs Watch, border technologies, Detector Dog Program, Container and Cargo Examination Facilities, Customs Marine Unit, Smartgate
- Customs and Border Protection Regulatory philosophy
- Regulatory Plans
- Review of Passengers Functions at International Airports 2006
- Strategic outlook 2015
- Statement of Intent 2011-2012 (PDF1.37MB)
- Statutory powers
- WCO data model