A career with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
Are you interested in being an Australian Customs and Border Protection Service officer?
In this section of the website, you will find listed all current vacancies, the documents you will need to apply to work with us, and information about different paths to joining Customs and Border Protection.
It also shares the real-life stories and experiences of our officers to give you an understanding of the range of exciting opportunities available.
How can I join?
People join in a number of ways:
- General recruitment as jobs become available (for positions above entry level)
- Border Force Recruits
- Customs and Border Protection Graduate Trainees
- Indigenous Cadets
- Torres Strait Island Marine Trainees
Most people who join at entry level do so through the Customs and Border Protection Trainee Program.
Read more about each path to becoming a Customs and Border Protection officer in the dedicated pathway section for each.
Who is eligible to join?
To be eligible to join you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen
- undergo a medical assessment and meet the required standard
- undergo an Organisational Suitability Assessment (OSA)
- undergo a security assessment and meet the required standard.
More information can be found in the Enterprise Agreement.
Is being a Customs and Border Protection officer right for me?
We have developed a self-assessment questionnaire to help you understand if a career with us is right for you. The tool is for you to use and does not form part of the selection process. We recommend you take the time to answer the questions and think about whether a career with us is right for you before you apply to become a Customs and Border Protection officer.
Who are we looking for?
Regardless of the role you have, there are things we expect of all of our officers. Having highly skilled, professional officers who reflect the diversity of the community is important to helping us meet the challenges of the future.
We are looking for officers who:
- have a strong sense of personal ethics and honesty
- are goal-oriented and always looking for ways to improve
- are flexible, adaptive and creative in solving problems and dealing with change
- work well as part of a team
- are leaders or future leaders
- think in an abstract and analytical manner
- can effectively organise and plan
- enjoy working with technology.
Does this sound like you?