Australian Government - Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

To protect Australia's borders and foster lawful trade and travel.

Export declaration documents

All goods intended to be exported from Australia with a value of AUD 2000 or more must be declared to us on an export declaration (EDN). Any goods that require a permit for export must be reported on an export declaration regardless of value.

Goods that are exempt* from requiring an export declaration include:

  • personal effects
  • pets
  • goods with a value of less than AUD 2000
  • goods temporarily imported under section 162A of the Customs Act 1901
  • Australia Post or diplomatic bags of mail
  • Australian aircraft and ships spares
  • military goods of any value that are the property of Australian Government, for use overseas by Australian Defence Forces
  • Australian domestic cargo containers for the International carriage of cargo and ships stores

*There are exclusions and restrictions to the use of the exemptions. Further details may be found in the Export Control Manual, Volume 12, on the Customs Manuals page.

An authority to deal (Customs approval to export goods) is obtained through the lodgement of an export declaration. The majority of export declarations are lodged with us electronically. An alternative option for lodging export declarations is in a documentary (paper) form.

For details of Evidence of Identity (EOI) requirements see evidence of identity for documentary (paper) transactions. For more information about exporter responsibilities when completing export declarations see Exporter obligations and reporting requirements.

Lodging export declarations

Export declarations may be lodged at our counters. Alternatively, exporters may use couriers to lodge declarations at specified counters when prior approval from us has been granted (see Courier section below).

Amendments or withdrawals to original lodgements of export declarations can be faxed or mailed to one of our designated offices in your State/Territory. For a full contact list, view the Customs and Border Protection offices page. Amendments or withdrawals can also be accepted at our counters.

Amendments or withdrawals do not require EOI where they relate directly to the original lodgement. Exporters (or their agents) need to quote the Customs file reference number allocated to the original lodgement.

The exporter must complete the documentary export declaration approved form, B957. To view this form, go to the forms page on the Cargo Support website.

It is the responsibility of the exporter to ascertain the information required on the export declaration form. Our role in assisting the exporter is limited to general advice relating to the type of information required on the form and where that information may be ascertained. Advice can be provided at our service counters or through the Customs Information and Support Centre on 1300 363 263.

Locations of, and separate requirements for lodging export declarations at, Customs Service Counters.

Steps for lodging export declarations
at Customs counters

  1. The exporter (or their agent) prints then completes the documentary export declaration form.
    (Note: the export declaration is not to be signed by the exporter (or their agent) until they are requested to do so by the Customs counter officer.)
  2. The exporter or their agent presents at a Customs counter with the following documents:
  3. Once the EOI check has been completed successfully we will accept the documentary export declarations for processing.
  4. If the export declarations require amendments, we will contact the exporter (or their agent) and request amended declarations. These can be sent directly to us by fax or mail.
  5. When processing has been completed, our officer will prepare an export entry advice, that is:
    • an authority to deal with the goods for export
    • an authority to deal with the goods for export, subject to a condition that a specified permission be obtained
    • an authority to deal with the goods for export, subject to a condition that a security required under s16 of the Excise Act 1901 be given
    • a refusal to provide such authority.
  6. The export entry advice may be given:
    • to the exporter (or their agent), or
    • if the exporter (or their agent) is not at our office the advice will be sent to the exporter (or their agent) by fax or mail. The contact details used for this purpose will be taken from the declaration.

Exporters may wish to utilise couriers for presenting export declarations at specified Customs and Border Protection counters.

For details on Courier requirments see evidence of identity for documentary (paper) transactions